When you’ve got stuff to sell, you, of course, want to get as much money for it as possible (unless you’re purely in a hurry, in which case just take the stuff and go!). So it helps to know how to go about selling if you plan on raking in the cash. To help you out, here’s a few tips to keep in mind when trying to sell your stuff.
- If selling online, post lots of photos. This will increase the chances that people will look at your ad or listing. Lots of high-quality photos that show the honest condition of the item.
- Get an idea of the price range by searching for the same item yourself. Pretend you want to buy another and see what others are charging. This will give you a feel for the water. Also check how long the item was available at that price. If the listing is very old and the item still for sale, you know the person was charging too much.
- Clean up the item as much as possible. This is especially applicable to tools and things that tend to get dirty. A clean looking item can be sold for more (definitely do this before taking photos!).
- If you’re trying to sell gift cards and your immediate friends/family don’t want them, take them to a pawn shop. Many pawn shops will buy unused gift cards like these guys: http://uspawnjewelry.com/#!gift-cards/cnwsb.
- Slightly list the item for more than you’re willing to part with it for so that you have a little wiggle room when the potential buyer inevitably tries to haggle with you.
- You can bundle items together and potentially get more than you could individually (like a TV and a DVD player or a set of power tools).
Hope the above tips help you out!